Terrain Focus: Warlord Hamlet
I’ve seen these hanging around the Arcane stockroom and previously as made by Mr Wojtek (Warlords pet sculpter), sorry no picture of his effort. What jolted my interest into the kit was seeing that Warlord had a ‘refresher’ type article on their own website to generate some interest in the old dog. Well interest was generated and I picked one up to add some more terrain to my collection as well as write this review / guide.
The box artwork while nice does not show off the buildings very well. I do like the style but it could do with a better picture of what you get. I forgot to get a picture of the reverse before but it’s not great.
On the plus side the box is bulging with contents. I’m not impressed when a company reuses a box size and the product rattles around and feels empty, makes you think your missing something. Fortunately the hamlet is packed tight as the three packs of plastics take up all the interior space.
As with all shiny new toys I was quick to open up one of the bags and marvel, and then despair set in as I quickly realised that there were no instructions and I was going to have to go online and look for inspiration or wing it. I know this is a Lego style build whatever you want type of kit but there should have at least been something on the back of the box to get you started.
After tapping my fingers thinking and dry fitting some parts I began to clean up and assemble the first building. I decided to do the first building using only the contents in the first bag, just to get a feel for it. To aid me in my construction attempt I reached for the best plastic glue known to man, Revell Contacta Professional. After gluing most of the building together I saw the error of my ways and got the Super Glue and Activator out.
I then tested the heights of the windows and doors with a couple of minis. While the door was perfect the upstairs window has been designed for hobbits. To rectify this I used the Heresy Clippers (also known as big sprue clippers the guys got from Heresy Miniatures). I also applied this treatment to the other buildings using this part when I got to them.
With the remaining parts I cobbled together a smaller ruined wall. There are also these really cool rubble sections you can attach to corners to fill bits in or add extra strength. These are defiantly one of the best bits in the kit and useful for all types of ruin!
This chimney part needs filling regardless of where you put it, design fail.
With the first building done and my creative inspiration on the high I got started with the remaining two bags. This time I mixed the contents together and tried to come up with some varied and unique designs.
I decided to add a more complete roof to this building using wood, plasticard and cardboard. The roof section already had some bits cut out to handle the plastic broken roof and made perfect contact points for me to build on.
This building has had an extended second floor added using wood. I still need to add another support so that it does not snap off or get damaged when some ham fisted gamer is moving his miniatures around.
Having stuck my fingers to almost everything and mould lined a ton load of plastic I had finally got the core buildings done. I still need to go back and fill several parts, may add another support to some of the floor sections but otherwise there good to go.
So out of the entire kit I managed to build five ruins, not bad really but allot more effort than I wanted. At its current RRP this is not a cheap bit of terrain but with a bit of creativity it can cover a large amount of table space. I would not recommend this kit to a newer hobbyist, but those veterans amongst us will certainly get allot of use out of it.